21st July 2016
Why you should choose a web designer and not a DIY online web builder
by Paul on 21st July 2016
We get asked alot why you should use a professional web design company and not an online DIY web design builder to design your new small business website.
When it comes to designing and building a business website, you have a couple of options. You can use a professional website designer / company, or you can use an online DIY website builder.
Many think having a custom web design is too expensive but let’s look at the advantages of hiring a web designer over using an online website builder.
Benefits of using a professional web designer
- Unique design - with a custom web design it is created just for your business and you can discuss with your web designers / company how you want it to look.
- SEO Friendly - by hiring the right web designer / company, it will be built so it is search engine friendly - which is essential for being found on Google and other search engines.
- Scalability - the website will be more adaptable to your company’s needs - by having a list of website features you can give your web designer an idea of what you need now and in the future depending on your current budget so that the website can be built with the knowledge other pages being added in the future.
- Web design expertise - good web designers can give you the tools that you need in order to make appropriate updates to pages of your website. They can even teach you the best practices for website updates and help with any training you may need.
- Fully Test & Launch - The web designer will test the site in various browsers and platforms, then launch the website for you.
- Expertise in marketing - they can use their marketing knowledge to advise you how to promote your new website. This is particularly helpful if the client doesn't know a lot about marketing.
Why you should not use an online DIY site builder?
- Not SEO Friendly - many web builders have been steadily improving in regards to SEO, but as they are a template which is used time and time again the code is not friendly for search engines. While it’s not impossible to rank high when using a web builder, it’s still far easier to rank with a custom built website, not only because of how the website is coded but also because web designers can use expertise to optimise the website fully.
- Poor analytics - inaccurate site analytics normally caused by older scripting code which don’t allow many site builder users to get accurate data of a site’s traffic and performance. We use Google Analytics which comes highly recommended.
- No branding - without a real domain name, having a URL of buildercompany.com/username sounds a bit rubbish to put on your business cards, or say over the phone.
- No differentiation with your competitors - Most of the web builders have a few hundred templates which are being used by thousands of customers so you will have a website that looks exactly the same as everyone else.
- Ads - very annoying ads appear on your website builder pages which can put your customers off staying on your site.
- No support - the support system (if any) is normally an added cost which makes going for a free web builder not so cost effective after all.
- On-going costs & Hidden Fees - the builder cost plans are from £30 a month and you keep paying forever until you decide to leave and you can't take the website with you. If you hired someone (we’d love it to be us), you could pay a one-off package price over a few months and that would be it no on-going web design fees.
So why do people use online DIY website builders?
With so many big drawbacks as outlined above, why do some people use website builders in the first place? Well, to put it bluntly, it’s because they don’t know any better. They don’t know that there are better alternatives out there. Not only better, but cheaper as well.
Need a professional website for your business?
Check out our web design packages.
About Dsgn One
Dsgn One have been building and designing custom websites for organisations in Bath & London for over 6 years. Our friendly, highly experienced team of web designers are here to help you.View web design packages