24th August 2014
Google Adwords Explained
by Paul on 24th August 2014
Google AdWords is an advertising service by Google for businesses wanting to increase their online presence quickly by displaying adverts (ads) on the Google search engine results pages.
The AdWords program enables businesses to set a budget, only pay when people click the ads and can give you an instant Top 10 position (depending on what you set your budget at). The ad service is largely focused on keywords.
Businesses that use AdWords create relevant ads using keywords that people who search the web using the Google search engine would use to find them. The keyword when searched will trigger your ad to be shown and depending on your daily budget how often it will be shown.
What does it cost to buy an ad on Google AdWords?
Keywords can cost anything from 5p to £10 or more. There is a minimum cost-per-click assigned by Google to each keyword. This is based on market value and performance history as measured by Google's program. So you may have to pay a considerable amount for popular keywords.
Where do Adwords appear?
AdWords can be found on the top 3 spots within Google search results, also down the right hand side where the word ads in the yellow box appears to show you these are "Sponsored Links". If your ad is clicked on, users will be directed to your website and you pay for the click (price you pay is dependant on individual keyword cost).
NOTE: All information about keyword costs etc can be found within your Google Adwords account page.
Please see screenshot below for an example of positioning for Google Adwords within the search engine results:
What is the main advantages for me using Google Adwords?
- Quick - AdWords is the quickest way to generate traffic for your website.
- Control how much you spend - You can choose where your ad appears and set a budget you're comfortable with. For example if you set your budget at maximum of £10 a day then your ad will stop showing once it hits that cost.
- No minimum spending commitment. You can pause or stop anytime.
What is the main disadvantages for me using Google Adwords?
- Once you stop using Google Adwords or pause your campaign your ad will disappear completely from search engines.
- Cost - an advertising strategy on Google Adwords is a must and if you are not sure what you are doing, it can be better to pay a professional to set it up for you, a bad strategy can be very costly.
- You only have 70 characters to sell yourself - limited characters to sell your business on your advert.
How does Google determine where your ads appear in which positions?
Your Ad position will be based on a combination of:
- Your bid, which is how much you're willing to spend.
- Your Quality Score, a measurement of the quality of your ads, keywords, and website.
- When choosing your keywords for your AdWords campaign you will find their are different matching options available to choose from.
The three main keyword match options available are:
- Broad Match: This reaches the most users by showing your ad whenever your keyword is searched for.
NOTE: To specify broad match for your keywords in Google adwords you just type in the keywords you want to use.
- Phrase Match: Your ad is shown for searches that match the exact phrase.
NOTE: To specify phrase match for your keywords in Google adwords you add the following symbols between your keyword "keyword"
- Exact Match: Your ad is shown for searches that match the exact phrase exclusively.
NOTE: To specify exact match for your keywords in Google Adwords you add the following symbols between your keyword [keyword]
Don't have time to setup Google Adwords yourself? Let us do it for you..
With our Google campaign you can potentially receive 750+ visitors on your website, with highly targeted keywords for the products & services you offer (the number of visitors will depend on the budget you set yourself).
What do we do?
- Generate the absolute best keyword list for your target market.
- Create highly clickable copy for your advertisement.
- Precisely limit the distribution of advertisement to only those prospects who are most interested.
- Beat the competition with creative bidding strategies.
Check out our Google AdWords Packages
About Dsgn One
Dsgn One have been building and designing custom websites for organisations in Bath & London for over 6 years. Our friendly, highly experienced team of web designers are here to help you.View web design packages